My Opinion on the Health Care Saga | Yeah...I said it

My Opinion on the Health Care Saga

Capitol-Senate-health-care-bill

Health care legislation passed last night, so you can probably tell that I have some thoughts on the subject. This was a hard-fought battle that is nearing the finish of what looks like a victory for the American people. It’s far from perfect, but anyone expecting the unbelievably complicated and bureaucratic health care system to become a Utopian model of efficiency overnight is  out of touch with reality. Things don’t work that way in real life. That said, from what I’ve read of the legislation(and I’m no expert, people), there are definitely plenty of changes to come that should benefit a great number of Americans for years to come.

The biggest windfall of all in my humble opinion, is that Rush Limbaugh promised to leave the country if health care reform were to pass. We all saw what happened last night. Rush, I just have two words for you: Bye bitch!

Realistically speaking, I know Rush Limbaugh isn’t going anywhere. He’s going to sit on his fat ass and continue to talk sh*t. He gets paid way too well to do otherwise. His threat was as empty as his hateful rhetoric.

I think Rush should keep his promise. He’s wealthy enough to buy an island somewhere, take Glenn Beck with him, and work on creating his own little master race of opinionated jackasses. He can take his followers with him. Trust me, they won’t be missed over here.

While I’m on this subject, I have to speak about how tasteless, classless and disrespectful the health care debate got. I live in DC, so I’ve actually seen a few angry, out of shape Wilford Brimley looking Tea Party activists on the train, looking at me as like they want to call me “nigger” the way they did Rep. John Lewis. It’s cool though. These old fogeys are getting their blood pressure all riled up worrying about “Obamacare.” If they keep it up, they won’t have to be concerned about so-called “death panels” because they’ll end up doing it to themselves with their hatred and fear!

The absolute worst element of it all, the one that literally turns my stomach, is how politicians and pundits callously dismissed actual accounts of Americans suffering thanks to flaws in the health care system as “sob stories.” The worst one being the case of Marcelas Owens, an 11 year old boy whose mother lost her job, lost her coverage and ended up dying. The comments of Limbaugh, Beck and Michelle Malkin about the situation can be described as tasteless and disrespectful, but are more accurately characterized as completely f*cked up.  It’s a damned shame when a young child shows more class and dignity than a bunch of grown men and women in positions of power.

What’s your opinion on the health care reform bill passing? Now that I’ve shared my opinion on the subject, I want to hear yours?

12 Responses to “My Opinion on the Health Care Saga”

1. rainmayun 22. Mar, 2010 at 1:16 pm #

Muy bueno to me. It might take 20 years for historians to figure this out, but I think this puts Obama among the best presidents ever.

2. Dewan W. Gibson 22. Mar, 2010 at 1:23 pm #

Putting an end to discrimination against those with pre-existing conditions was good enough for me, and everything else is just gravy. This bill puts Repubs on the wrong side of history–again. Anytime the entire party votes against something you know it’s political and lacking substance, for at least some of the members.

As for the TEA Party, mostly a bunch of wackos. I went to a TEA event last year and wrote about it. One of their leaders got pissed and called me a “ward of the state racist” lol. http://www.imperfectenjoyment.com/blog/2009/09/tea-par-tay-kickin-it-with-the-conservatives/

3. JoJo 22. Mar, 2010 at 1:30 pm #

I am so glad this finally got passed. Hard core conservatives are really starting to show their ugly colors though because they are so bitter about the change that is happening. So since they can’t do much about it, they can only spread lies and call people out of their names. Kind of amusing.

4. M Slade 22. Mar, 2010 at 3:29 pm #

The GOP in general and conservatives in particular believe that the constitution does not guarantee health care and the government has no obligation to provide it. They favor free market solutions to deliver health care. Tax credits, health savings accounts and allowing insurance companies to compete across state lines would foster competition and deliver healthcare to more people at a reduced cost.

This means if you need to see a doctor for any procedure, you should pay for it. It can be through insurance, paying out of pocket, or by charity. So if you need treatment for cancer, you’ll get it if you pay for it. If you can’t pay for it, Republicans will let you die.

I’m down with the Democrats. Democrats believe that the quality of healthcare you receive should not depend on your financial status. The Dems want large employers to offer employee health benefits or contribute to the cost of a new national health plan. They would create a national health insurance exchange to give small businesses and individuals without access to insurance, the opportunity to receive health care.

So, you can be a broke, degenerate gambler who spends all his money on cheap hookers and fortified wine while living on a diet of fried chicken and packets of Strawberry Pop-Tarts without having health insurance AND YOU’LL STILL GET A HEART TRANSPLANT.

Obama is the man.

5. DBinDC 22. Mar, 2010 at 4:58 pm #

@M Slade I hope that last comment about being a broke degenerate gambler who subsists solely on a diet of “fried chicken and strawberry pop tarts” was facetious.. because, as I’m sure edumacted person such as yourself is well aware, that type of high risk behavior will land you on NO donor list that exists.. ever…

My opinion of the whole situation..it’s about damn time. The Repubs are showing (and encouraging) ugly behavior you don’t even see 2 year olds in the sand box exhibiting. They should be ashamed…I salute you and your teabagging cronies with a hearty “Grow the fuck up”

Now off to make my death panel lists : )

6. Matt 23. Mar, 2010 at 9:44 am #

I definitely like the second and fourth paragraphs. Maybe while Rush and Glenn are leaving we can round up some of the leftist extremists (I’m looking at you Rachel Maddow) and ship them off too.

My main criticism of having any kind of public healthcare is that we’ll be socializing the cost of insuring people that make irresponsible decisions. The two biggest killers in this country are obesity and smoking (in that order now). I don’t think it’s “fair” for me to have to pay more because others don’t take care of themselves as well as I do. It’s hard work, and they should have to accept the consequences of their bad decisions. If the main goal is to reduce costs, then increasing coverage for emergency care isn’t a very effective means. Why not nationally enforced diet and exercise programs for those that the government deems needing? This would reduce costs = increase affordability. Sound extreme? It is.

I also am in agreement with the 37 or so states that are going to challenge the Constitutionality of parts of the bill. Please show me where the Constitution allows the Federal government to provide a national healthcare system. Please. It’s not there. If a state or local government (Mass.) wants to, that’s cool. I just won’t live there. Speaking of Massachusetts, how has their public healthcare worked out? Last I heard they expanded coverage ~5% at a greatly increased cost.

I just don’t see how this country can continue to finance the present at the expense of the future. It really annoys me to know that we’re taxing future generations (deficit spending) so that some of us don’t have to save for retirement or for medicine.

7. ListenToLeon 23. Mar, 2010 at 1:00 pm #

@ Matt, you make some good points, and I definitely agree that Rachel Maddow and Keith Olbermann should go away, too!

While it would be nice if everyone in the country lived a clean, healthy lifestyle, that’s not realistic. Just as unrealistic as thinking that all of the currently uninsured people in this country are overweight or smokers. It really only takes ONE THING to go wrong when you don’t have insurance, and there are too many variables to make a sweeping generalization like “you should be living better.”

I think the real problem is the way the system has abused consumers for years. I know folks in the Pharmaceutical industry, and trust me: this is BIG money I’m talking about. The cost part of it all is indeed scary. Still, I don’t think we can afford to continue to allow insurance companies to rake in money hand-over-foot while small businesses struggle to cover their employees and most families are one job loss or serious illness away from being uninsured themselves. That would be more detrimental to our future as a nation, in my humble opinion.

@ DBinDC, how is that “death panel” list coming? ;)

@ M Slade, I don’t think the system will get abused any more than it already does…So enjoy your hookers and pop tarts

@ JoJo, I watched Fox News that night, just to see all the pundits’ tight faces!

@ Dewan Gibson, very true. I’m about to read about your Tea Party experience right now

@ Rainmayun, if he’s able to clean up HALF of the mess Bush left, then yeah, you’re absolutely right.

8. ListenToLeon 23. Mar, 2010 at 1:14 pm #

For those interested in learning more, here’s the guide to Health Care Reform from Consumer Reports:

9. Peter Iarussi 23. Mar, 2010 at 3:23 pm #

The United States healthcare system is ranked 37th in the world. Most of those ahead of the US have a national healthcard system. With regard to preventative deaths we are 14 and last. On healthy life expectancy we are 24th. On health performance we are 74th. On total health expendatures as % of GDP we are 2nd. So what we have is a very poorly rated healthcard system that costs an awful lot of money. If these facts are not a clear indication that we need a manditory health care system that will service the population and not the health care industry what is!

10. Jonny 23. Mar, 2010 at 11:56 pm #

@ Matt, you do make some interesting points, and as a taxpayer you are justified in your concerns, but I do agree with Leon. You can’t make sweeping generalizations regarding “living better”. That argument doesn’t apply to accident victims, cancer patients, children with genetic/chronic illnesses. Yes, these are special cases, but these are the types of people the insurance companies are dropping because they don’t want to pay for their health care. This bill is a step forward to protect all of us from becoming a painful statistic.

I don’t think the bill goes far enough. I am a huge proponent of universal health care, and I think everyone should have access to even the most basic standard of care regardless of income and social status. But, I do hope my grandchildren will be able to see universal health care in their lifetime.

The GOP is just angry they won’t be getting anymore kickbacks from the insurance and pharmaceutical companies. They don’t give a shit about the issues, only the money in their pockets. Can you believe some of them are talking about health care reform causing a civil war???

And this may sound harsh, but I think these people warrant such strong reactions. Michelle Malkin, Rush, Hannity, and Glenn should go somewhere and die slow painful death. That is all.

@ M Right On!!

@ Peter thanks for the statistics. I knew our system was bad, but the numbers make it real.

11. Get Togetha 25. Mar, 2010 at 12:55 am #

Hey Leon,

Love the blog. Always have. First time commenting.

I didn’t realize how much fear polarizes and paralyzes people and just how easy it is to influence mobs to do the wrong thing.

And you’re right about Rush. He’s a grade A asshole and a bloviator collecting ridiculous cake off of people’s collective ignorance and those who aim to maintain the status quo. The only place he’s going is to the medicine cabinet to swallow his crazy pills.

With that said…I truly love and admire the cool cucumber known as our President and I really really enjoy his protector and residential Pit Bull Joe “he don’t play that ish” Biden.

His smile slays me.