Bombing at Laffs On The Harbor | Yeah...I said it

Bombing at Laffs On The Harbor

Laffs on the Harbor logo

I had my worst sober onstage performance ever last night at Laffs on the Harbor. The event was really nice, and I would definitely recommend the show to anyone. Great music, great comedy…and then, there was my storytelling. Leading up to the show, I wasn’t sure if they wanted me to do stand-up or storytelling, so I worked on a little of both. However, the fact that I did not ask which one they wanted from me, lets you know that I did not take my preparation seriously enough. That became painfully evident after about a minute or two onstage.

It turns out that I was listed as a storyteller, and things started out halfway decent onstage. People laughed at first. Then, less people laughed. Next, the laughter became an assorted chuckle or two. The more I talked, the more the silence became deafening. I’m pretty sure I saw tumbleweeds. I just cut the story short and pretty much threw in the towel. In my mind, I was like “Damn…so THIS is what it’s like to ‘die’ onstage! I kinda wish someone WOULD heckle me right now, so I can deflect the attention off me and make fun of their personal flaws. But no such luck, it’s just silence…Are those crickets I hear? Or is that just the sound of someone chewing their food? What the f*ck?! Let me wrap it up and ease on out the door…”

Red Grant, who hosted the event, came onstage directly afterward & had jokes. I don’t blame him since I lost the audience & never got ‘em back, but once again, I was thinking to myself “Main man is goin, on IN me right now. He ain’t got no kinda light skin nigga solidarity! Looking like a stocky stick of butter…but shit, my stage time went NOWHERE, so I kinda expected this. At least he’s funny. He probably felt the need to save the show after my story.”

Y’all already know I don’t embarrass easily, so it wasn’t a big thing. I shook Red’s hand and told him I would have done the same thing to him had he stank up the spot before me. I could say “it wasn’t a storytelling crowd like Speakeasy” or “I would have probably kicked ass at stand-up instead”, but that would just be me making excuses. I know that I need to spend more of my time preparing, and take this shit more seriously than I do. Therefore, from now on, I am posting 2 videos a week along with the blog entries, starting tomorrow. Hopefully, I’ll get back on the Laffs on the Harbor stage again this summer to make up for this past show. Either way, I’ll be ready next time I’m in a situation where I need to switch gears mid-performance.

Tags: , , , ,

13 Responses to “Bombing at Laffs On The Harbor”

1. OSHH 11. May, 2011 at 12:11 pm #

You’ll do better next time Leon for sure!

2. Invisible Man 11. May, 2011 at 12:49 pm #

I look at it this way…not only are you admitting your shortcomings, hell all of us have them, along with defects of character and faults,areas we need to improve on when it comes to ourselves, you’re determined to work on the issue.

That, can only be a good thing!

Peace

• ListenToLeon 11. May, 2011 at 2:10 pm #

Yeah, it’s a learning experience. I had to outline what it feels like to be onstage and not do well in as detailed a manner as possible, because most people who’ve been through it try to forget about it or act like it never happened.

At least I can look at this entry and say to myself “I’m not letting this bullsh*t happen again!”

3. Prokarateshop 11. May, 2011 at 4:43 pm #

“Success builds character, failure reveals it”
    “I didn’t fail the test, I just found 100 ways to do it wrong”

Just two quotes to make sure you keep this in perspective..

BTW, is there any video of this :)

• ListenToLeon 13. May, 2011 at 11:46 am #

No, Thank God!!! Thanks for the great quotes, my friend.

4. Jabari Talib 11. May, 2011 at 9:16 pm #

Stand-up, whether it be straight jokes or storytelling, is tough. I applaud your efforts. I know you are professional enough to build on this “failure.”

• ListenToLeon 13. May, 2011 at 11:52 am #

Yeah man, unless I LITERALLY die onstage, I have nowhere to go but up!

5. allawishis 12. May, 2011 at 7:31 pm #

Well at least you got the BOMB out of the way. All comedians go through it, so better early than late.Stick and move, stick and move

• ListenToLeon 13. May, 2011 at 11:51 am #

Yep. To quote the Muslim cooking bacon from Don’t Be A Menace, “The Honorable Elijah Muhammad Ali, floats like a butterfly, and sting like a bee! Two thousand zero zero. Party’s over. Oops. Out of time. My bacon is smelling fine.”

I know that shit didn’t make any sense, but the “stick & move” boxing reference made me think of it.

• allawishis 16. May, 2011 at 10:45 pm #

YEAH, your ADHD is kicking in hard

6. Metraa 13. May, 2011 at 11:11 am #

You’re not the first and you won’t be the last. Happens to the best of us. We all know you’re great, be glad you had the experience and just learn from it :) You are awesome.

• ListenToLeon 13. May, 2011 at 11:47 am #

Thanks. YOU are awesome for calling me awesome!