Quite frankly, I am tired of hearing about Manti Te’o and his fake-me-out girlfriend. I understand why people are captivated with this story, because it is all kinds of convoluted and for lack of a better word, strange. Some reports back up Te’o’s claim of being scammed, while others make him look like the scam artist. To be honest, I really don’t care either way. I do know that it’s led to people Te’oing on Twitter which is much more fun than Tebowing or Planking ever was. For those readers whom are not complete internet geeks like myself, Te’oing is when you pose next to your imaginary girlfriend with your arm around her. See the example below:
Below, I have outlined my masterful theory on why the rest of the world should move on from this story and only care about what Manti Te’o does on the football field. Even if you disagree with me, this is some quality food for thought right here. It’s like the Chik-Fil-A of thought food.
Leon Breaks Down The Manti Te’o Situation. In Bullet Points. Like A Boss.
- Manti Te’o is not the first young man to lie about having a girlfriend, and he certainly will not be the last. Half of the guys I knew back in high school told similar lies to look like they were getting some kind of attention from some lady somewhere since they could not get actual girlfriends in real life. Everyone knows the kid who was like “I HAVE A GIRLFRIEND! She doesn’t live around here. You want to meet her? Oh…You can’t. She ded.”
- Manti Te’o claims that he met Lennay Kekua in person, which was obviously a lie. Everyone knows that lying is wrong. That said, this is an embarassing situation however you look at it. If Te’o made the whole thing up, then he looks like a crazy person. If Te’o was tricked, then he looks like a fool. Either way, I do not blame him for trying to save face. It took Lance Armstrong over a decade before he had the ball to finally admit to cheating. Pride is a powerful thing to an elite athlete.
- NFL scouts are saying that this situation could affect Te’o’s draft stock. To me, that logic is absolutely ridiculous. Have you seen how many crazy fools are currently gainfully employed on NFL rosters? There are killers, drug addicts and all sorts of felons in the league. One additional liar added to the mix should not make any waves, as long as he can tackle people.
- Even if this whole story was a fabication made up to garner sympathy and Heisman votes, should external factors really matter when judging what this guy did on the football field? Why should he get more votes because of what he was dealing with emotionally while he knocked people into next week every Saturday? His play should have been the only thing factored in, as opposed to his family and love life. There are plenty of college football players with tougher life stories than Te’o out there.
- It’s pretty safe to assume that 95% of the people reading this cannot whup Manti Te’o in a fair one. So stop talking about him before he knocks on your front door with his arm around an invisible lady and yells out “YOU WAS TYPING REAL TOUGH ON THE INTERNET! WHAT ‘CHU GOT TO SAY NOW?! ARE YOU LOOKING AT MY LADY?! I WILL KILL YOU WHERE YOU STAND!”
Hopefully, I have made my point effectively for you all. This Te’o mess should sort itself out in due time. Until then, I’ll be reading about other news stories and keeping a healhy distance from all things Te’o.Tweet